Wednesday, June 04, 2008

A jumbled life

There has been little calm of late and likely little calm on the horizon. In the past month, I graduated (again), got married, went on a honeymoon, and moved across the country (my third such cross-country jaunt in the past 3 years. Kids, don't try this at home). In fact, wherever we end up in Portland, or around it, will be my 9th address since 2004. Maybe I am in the witness protection program and no one told me.

Now all that needs to be done in the next month to six weeks is pass my NCLEX (which will be easier once I get a test site and time), move my belongings into a storage unit from their home in a 5'x10' trailer (and shortly thereafter move them out of said storage unit and back into another trailer), find a permanent place to live and find a car. Oh yeah, and then that whole new career thing starts. It hard to type with shivers racing up your spine.

In the meantime.......

It is good to be back in the Pacific Northwest. It is also extremely odd. I am not a native here and don't know if I will ever fully acclimate, but it feels like an entirely different country after living in Rochester for the past dozen months. It still feels like I am out here visiting and not really transplanting my life here. Today Tia and I went to a coffee shop to study. I was served by a young blonde woman with dreadlocks and piercings, we sat near a 50ish woman with a gold tooth who sold organic foods for a small grocery chain, and interacted with a number of other people that in Rochester would be gawked at. Here, that is just run of the mill. Oh, and as an aside, they were all extremely pleasant (with the gold-toothed woman offering to share the tea pot she ordered). That is typical here in the NW. In Florida and Rochester, not so much.
Now if they could just do something about the weather.

The trip across was largely uneventful. Pulling the trailer really hampered progress. Try driving 2800+ miles at 60mph through states like South Dakota and see how long it is before you go insane. Thanks to Tia's mom coming to share the drive (and do a bulk of it honestly) it wasn't that bad and we managed to get to our destination right on time. I don't think Tia and I could have managed to do the same on our own. As it was, we would leave most places around 8:30am and not stop for good until after 11pm.

Off to unpack the trailer. I hope to be in contact with all my Portland peeps in the near future as soon as the dust settles.

No comments: