Sunday, March 23, 2008

Childe Roland to the Dark Tower came

Another week of clinicals has been put to rest. This week was harder than most, but not for any particular reason. Just the sense that things are winding down makes it seemingly harder to concentrate on the most immediate tasks and not concern yourself with what lies down the road. I understand this, but it makes it no easier. You can sense it from those around me who are settled in a job and a place. I don't want to label it a sense of inner peace, which sounds an altogether too ethereal for what it is, but they are definitely more at ease. I can't help but wonder how we will figure out what needs to come with us when we move such as: where the money for the move will come from; how to determine the value of things you have to sell vs. the cost of re-buying items you need vs. the cost of moving some of those things vs. all of them; whether or not to sell a car or keep them both; and, of a lesser concern only because I am impotent to do anything about it at the moment, where and when I will be employed both immediately upon my return to PDX and in the Fall. All of this plus trying to tie together details for the wedding and maintaining course work. May will be both a huge stressor and an enormous relief.

As for clinicals, my patients were all in good spirits in spite of their ailments. You have to give kids credit for that. They are so resilient in the face of what lies ahead, both because it is their nature and because they cannot possibly comprehend the bigger picture. The more I am there, the more I wonder about possibly working with this population down the road. We will have to wait and see. I love being able to interact with the parents and the children, but hate to see children dealing with chronic ailments. Definitely on the table. Just need to develop a better comfort level with the really little ones. I have no familiarity at all.

I finished the Dark Tower series (septology?) finally. It was quite a literary journey, but a really enjoyable one at that. As with any series as long as that, there are many places that could be trimmed and streamlined, but overall there was a whole lot to like. Now I have to find something else to tide me over when I am not knee deep in reading about pediatric neuromuscular disorders.

I hope everyone is having a good Easter Sunday howsoever you celebrate it. I don't tie any particularly religious connotations to the day, but I definitely miss being around family, snacking on chocolate and closing the day by eating an overlarge meal. Here there is just Tia and myself and, quite frankly, little is even open and operating today. It is beautiful and sunny, but still far too cold to be outside soaking it in. Maybe fate is trying to force me to study......I will do my best to fight it off.

1 comment:

GoodNubbin said...

Damn, that was a great series and I think SK ended it the only way possible. When does the next Song of Ice and Fire come out? That series kicks ass!

~J