Sunday, March 09, 2008

Spring Break and another foot

How spectacular to only have to think a modicum about school over the next week. I wish I could say that I intended to not think about school at all, but there are a few assignments due immediately upon the culmination of the break. Who does that? University of Rochester SON thats who. Oh yeah, and it snowed a little over a foot the past two days. We are now jsut shy of 100 inches for the winter. I miss grass, leaves on trees, and my car not being covered in more salt than an Auntie Anne pretzel.

Interesting SON story. A fellow student, lets call her M for the sake of anonymity, had an altercation with a clinical instructor, lets call her D, who already has a poor reputation within the school that, through teacher evals should bear out if not through direct complaints. Anyway, M had a rough go in her clinical with D, and thought that the attacks seemed personal rather than having anything to do with her performance. Her final student evaluation was passing, but a lot of the comments were quite negative. M was disheartened, but could really do little accept complain through her teacher eval of D. However, evidently D decided to talk to someone about M and said something to the effect that she purposefully gave her a negative write-up and thought it was funny. M was pissed and went to the school to complain about her confidential student information being made public and the fact that D was acting completely unprofessionally. Contacting a lawyer was brought up. The school reacted to that.........well, kind of. D was talked to (scolded?) and the next day D came up to M at work with a new student evaluation that has nothing but stellar things to say about M. She told M that the other eval 'was a goof' and that she hadn't meant to give it to her really. She asked M to sign it so that everyone could move on. To M's credit she told her to kiss off. It wasn't about the evaluation, but rather was about confidential information, her information, being broadcast to third parties and about the complete lack of professionalism that D had displayed. M says had she not closed the term with a very positive alternate site placement or she would have dropped out then and there. This complaint was not the first that I have heard about D.....and I am sure I have not heard them all.

Multiple choice: The school, threatened with litigation because of D, has decided to:
A. Immediately terminate her contract in light of the mounting evidence against her.
B. Suspended her while they investigated the matter further
C. Reassigned her to a non-clinical role
D. Did absolutely nothing except give her a tongue lashing

Don't think too hard about it, because you can probably guess based on my other observations that the school not only did very little, but that she is teaching another group RIGHT now. Re-god-damn-diculous!

I had an interesting clinical day yesterday. I ended up working with 2 young girls, 11mo and 14mo respectively. One had a brain tumor and had shunts in her skull to relieve the pressure. The other had a disorder that, without getting too medical, basically led to her urine going back up to her kidneys from her bladder. The girl with cancer had an NG tube, so I had to do some feedings through it and change my second ever diaper. The other girl was in the hospital for her 27th UTI infection since birth and had to be straight-cathed 4 times a day to get urine. So, I ended up straight cathing her. I am definitely getting some experiences, but I truly dislike seeing little kids in such bad places. I cannot imagine working in PEDs any more than I could imagine working in long term care. I think I would be an alcoholic by the third month.

Off to enjoy my lazy Sunday without a pressing need to read some textbook or another. Feels nice. A guy could get used to this.

1 comment:

GoodNubbin said...

You're almost at the break big-guy. Just get through the break and you will be golden! Booyeah!

~J