Monday, March 10, 2008

Job update

Since I know you are interested in my becoming financially solvent, I thought I would let you know what I have found out thus far regarding applying for positions out in Portland/Vancouver:

Providence: Applications should be held until at least late April/early May, preferably until after graduation (but can be submitted prior to NCLEX).

Legacy: Applications accepted only through internship program (which I am applying to). 1-2 positions per unit twice a year (fingers crossed so hard they are becoming cyanotic).

Kaiser Permanente: applications should be held until after graduation and preferably until NCLEX has been passed or they are screened out by recruiters and don't go to nurse managers (meaning you WILL NOT be getting hired period unless you have passed already).

SW Med: wait until graduation. 3 references needed from clinical instructors.

OHSU: wait until license. Highly competitive with low turnover according to recruiter. She kind of made it sound like a NYC apartment, like I should scan the obits and see if an OHSU nurse died so I could apply for her newly vacant position.

So, it looks EXTREMELY unlikely I will have so much as an interview prior to moving unless the Legacy internship comes through.

This is all a bit discouraging, but hopefully it just means I need to bide my time and something will come through once I get out there.

1 comment:

GoodNubbin said...

Bide your time, Bryan. Bide your time.