Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Happy Hump Day

Hump day is Wednesday..........get your mind out of the gutter! :)

I am shocked that it is already Wednesday. My spring break is fast becoming a memory and I have little 'break' to show for it. I have been working on papers and my packet for Legacy for the most part. That will all change tomorrow though. Tomorrow Tia and I head down to NYC for what I hope will be a fun time. I think it will anyway as we are staying with a friend of Tia's there who happens to have time off to show us around. Very nice. I am not sure what we are going to do once there, but I want to see Central Park, Chinatown, and Times Square of course. There will be so much to do and see. Especially when compared to Rochester.

We had our first (probably only) moving estimate today. If we take it all, looks like $2500ish. Could be more if we take the couches. Bare bones, nearly $2000. That is juxtaposed with renting a trailer and putting a hitch on Tia's car which will be about $1000 all told, but will significantly limit our space and require some hard choices to be made. I, of course, would rather save the money than have things that we can do without in the short term. Buy some Ikea chairs and the bare minimum furniture that will get us by until I start working and pick up things like a sofa later. Short term it would work, but it isn't necessarily the most financially prudent thing long term. But, then again, I am nomadic by nature and don't like to accumulate much in the first place. Tia, on the other hand, has a much stronger affinity for things. Hard to blame her totally, most things are hers to begin with. My belongings would still all fit in my car.
However, when faced with the distinct possibility of not being gainfully employed in my profession until August and the likelihood that I will need to take a very low-paying job in the meantime, it certainly appears preferable to spend down the road. We are even discussing selling my car if we can get a good price. It should net us a few thousand, after paying it off, and we can buy something new once I find employment (something compact with exceptional gas mileage since gas is supposed to go up significantly by the summer). It would save car payments for a few months as well which would be good. I never thought I would be at a more precarious point financially out of school than in it. At least Tia is gainfully employed and can float us for awhile if we find reasonably inexpensive accommodations out in Portland. We will have to talk about my allowance first of course :)

I need to finish up my cover letter and resolve a hypothetical ethical issue for class on Monday. I will write of my NYC adventures upon return to the artic tundra in which we reside.

2 comments:

Rose City Mama said...

Well, can you deduct the travel expense on your 2008 taxes since you can claim it was "job related"? Hope so! We just did our federal taxes & having Sebastian & paying for daycare has certainly helped up out a bit! Good luck!

GoodNubbin said...

Woo Hoo! Almost back to PDX man! Come work at Ride Connection for a few months. HA!

~J