Saturday, June 05, 2010

Here comes the sun

Sunny days here in Portland always amaze me. People attack them with a certain gusto that you just don't see in places like Florida (or other places where sun is common). I find it fascinating, and also a bit sad. Shouldn't the sun be something we take for granted?

The only thing I can reference that is remotely similar growing up in Florida was when it was cold out. It really is the only comparison I can make. We also woke up excited. Cranked on the heretofore unused heat (with the smell of burning dust permeating the air) and unpacked our winter apparel. Then proceeded to dress like a blizzard was upon us. 50 degrees and below brought forth a torrent of downy jackets and lumberjack sweaters. 40 degrees might have brought forth ski pants and masks (it was rumored that such temperatures existed, but I don't know if I ever saw them). And, since this was South Florida, by noon the temps had risen by about 20 degrees and you spent the remainder of the day lugging around all those heavy clothes that you could no longer bear to have on your person. Also, three days later, the temps would return to the low 70s and you would carefully repack everything with the hope that, at least once more, you might be able to repeat the process again before the 'winter' left us.

This isn't to say I am advocating Florida (although I would advocate a winter there). The rest of the year finds us stumbling from AC to AC slick with an ever present sheen of perspiration, temperatures in the mid/high 90s, perpetual afternoon thunderstorms, and humidity so thick it is a presence. But the sun............well that we never missed. It was never a question of if it would come out, but when. That, I do miss.

1 comment:

AMK said...

I remember those days too! Sad that the memories are all that are left.