Saturday, June 12, 2010

Interview

Today was another day where one of my coworkers suggested ANOTHER email to arrange ANOTHER meeting regarding what is going on in the clinic. Not that it isn't necessary (as my old supervisor is still pouting fairly openly and there is still a lot of muddiness regarding the role of our new charge even after the last meeting), but I am growing weary of it. It starts to feel like a wheel, no matter where you get on, you end up at the same place eventually.

So, the good news is that I have an actual honest-to-god face-to-face interview (a miracle in this day and age) at a clinic that is part of the same hospital system I already work at. Clearly, the hurdles of do I like them and do they like me exist, but if all goes well it could mean the following:

- A pay cut - yes it is only a few dollars an hour (guessing $2-2.50/hour less), but that can mean a lot over the course of a year (roughly $4K give or take). Of course, that is only if they actually flex me out like I do now. If it represents an actual 36 hours (instead of my theoretical one) than it will probably be a wash.

- No more weekends! - this would be huger than huge. Actual weekends. Whole ones. All the time. Has been a few years since I had those and with Tia's new job, it would be a really nice bonus.

- No more hospital - this is a real pro/con argument. On one hand, being in the hospital lets me accrue acute care experience and do some pretty neat things (PICC lines being the most interesting) while still getting my hand in the clinic work that I really feel at my most comfortable with. On the other hand, working in the the hospital means I get floated around as need be and that I have to deal with the crazy hospital politics (which I can only hope don't exist in the same scale at a clinic alone..........but that is a rather unlikely hope). There is truly no clear winner in this, it is just a matter of preference. Some people really like being in the hospital, some don't. I fall somewhere towards the don't side, but I can deal with it.

- Commute time - Until we sell this house, that could be a biggie. After we sell it, it could go a long way towards clarifying where to live (likely near that area since it would be super close for both Tia and I).

- No real change in any of the benefits etc since I would still be in the same organization. Thats a bonus in itself.

So, cross em for me and hopefully this interview will be as successful as most that I go on and an offer to contemplate will be forthcoming. I am excited about at least going in to talk with someone. Its a step in the right direction.

No comments: