Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The house is officially sold!

It feels like a HUGE weight has been lifted now that the counter offer has been accepted. Truly, we didn't win in this situation so much as we didn't entirely lose. Ultimately, we walk away without having to write a check to do so and that, in my book, is a win. We will lose the money we put down (thankfully not much) and what little equity we built over the year..........but a valuable lesson was imparted along the way: home ownership is not a place we want to be right now. Maybe when the market isn't so awful or maybe when I am older or maybe when we move somewhere else where buying makes more sense then renting (it doesn't here), but for now I just feel a sense of freedom that not having a 30 year mortgage allows. We are incredibly lucky to have found a buyer in this market at all honestly. So, farewell suburbia.

Whats next, well, a year of urban living. Specifically in the Pearl where we can walk to happy hours, coffee shops and even to work (I will only be 9 blocks from my new job and Tia will be a 2 mile bike ride away). We will be moving into about 1/2 the space (probably slightly less than) and will go back to sharing walls and living in close quarters with others...........but I think it will be fun. If nothing else, it will be truly, remarkably different. A fun experiment and hopefully a successful one.

In the meantime, now starts the purging process. Time to whittle down what we have to what can reasonably be accommodated within the confines of the apartment walls. It is a process I enjoy and dread because, despite my propensity for ridding and my general fear of accumulating stuff, I do like most of the pieces we have (some I will not be sad to see go though). Ah well, you can always buy it again down the road if you need to. Must stick to my mantra: absolutely no pay storage!

Off to relax and bask in the little successes. 4 days on the floor (one at EM) is enough.

No comments: