Sunday, June 13, 2010

the movie keeps on rolling, but the story's getting old now

My coworker asked me a question today that I had never thought about, "What would it take to make you stay at this job?" The fact that I had never even considered that probably says more about my feelings about leaving than anything else. I couldn't think of anything. Sure more money and more vacation would be nice, but that isn't happening and, even if it did, I am not sure how much it would take of either. Plus, I am already running out of the energy needed to continue fighting for myself and for the people I work alongside. Such a statement used to not bother me. I used to not care because work was work, not my career. Now I am trying (emphasis on trying) to look long term and the truth is there just isn't much chance to advance where I am.......not for a decade or better unless there is some kind of massive layoff up top. Which essentially means (in Bryan speak especially) an eternity before I would be in any position to affect change in my department (what changes could be enacted remains questionable even then). I am not ready, not willing, to wait it out.

What does it all mean? Well, if things don't turn out well tomorrow, the search continues.......and continues.

I hope to settle on a job one day...........but I doubt I will ever settle for something less than fulfilling. I know its out there, I just need to find it.

No comments: